try my triangle formation

mhackhertz

try my triangle formation

Post by mhackhertz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 pm

This formation has two right triangle shaped formation on each side and an inverted triangle in the middle. The placement of pieces as follows:

(Triangle Offense 1)
Front row: 5-star, blank, Lt. col., pvt., capt., pvt., major, blank, 4-star
Middle row: pvt., 3-star, blank, spy, 1st lt., spy, blank, 2-star, pvt.
Last row: flag*, pvt., 1-star, blank, 2nd lt., blank, col., pvt., sgt.

*flag can be interchanged with either 2nd lt. or sgt.

(Triangle Offense 2)
Front row: 5-star, blank, capt., lt. col., major, 1st lt., blank, spy
Middle row: pvt., 3-star, blank, pvt., spy, pvt., blank, 4-star, 2-star
Last row: flag, pvt., 1-star, blank, 2nd lt., blank, col., pvt., pvt.*

*if the 4-3-2 side is the attacking side (4-star, col., 2-star), a player can interchange pvt. to 1st lt., then switch it again for the flag, having the 1st lt., at the 5-3-1 side (5-star, 3-star, 1-star). Also, you have the option to interchange either your 2-star or col. with your spy at the front row.

Both of them can be interchange sides.

Advantages and disadvantages:

A: Placing of Flag.
TO1: 5-3-1 side - main attacking side; 1st option to where to place flag
twin spy mid - defensive phalanx / reinforcements; safest to place the flag
4-3-2 side - 2nd attacking side; Last option to where to place flag

TO2: 4-3-2-spy side - main attacking side; blitz attack option
single spy mid - 2nd option to where to place flag
5-3-1 side - bluff/decoy side; last option to where to place flag

B: Strategy

if a player would be using TO1, w/c has the spies at the middle, a player could have the option to use that as a defensive wall in the middle at an early stage of the game. the two sides can be used as a two-sided attack using your generals. If a player encounters a split with the 5-star and have figured out that your opponent is going for a blitz, you could take advantage and attack the other side of your opponent, take note though that he/she might have a spy holding that side, so be cautious though. An option could be using your 2-star but make sure that privates are near as well as your 4-star and other supporting pieces to protect your privates.
if your 4-3-2 side is the unlucky side that has been plagued (surely, that's a 5-star that attacked that side), if you could save some pieces at that side, might as well do in, because there will be a threat of a touchdown. Also the spy at the middle that is nearest to the plagued side could be a reinforcement, just save some pieces though to protect your spy from enemy's privates. That's why with the two attack strategies for this formation, the safest place for the flag is at the middle (defensive phalanx).

Upon using TO2, this conceals the assumption if your opponent had already encountered triangle offense many times (w/c usually happens to me in my case due to lack of opponents) you could use that as a bluff at the early stages of the game.
Using the single spy to hold the middle part and having the other spy at the 4-3-2 side, obviously gives you an option to use an offensive spy, if you don't feel comfortable about an offensive spy, you could use that as a secondary or support attack piece or try to go for a split with your opponent's other spy, assuming that your opponent is going for a blitz attack (usually having his/her 5-star and 4-star at the same side).

Either way, still you must learn how to use your pieces wisely, especially your spy because the weakness of this formation is usually the placement of the spy is easily determined. A player should know when to act upon a side is being attacked or plagued, or support your own attacking side or just act as a defensive wall in the middle. Upon having good knowledge and luck, this formation might be suitable for you, I'm not saying that this formation would win you all the time but with practice, you might be. Take note though that there is no such thing as an unbeatable player/ formation. Also, try to make you own formations that you think will help you to be good at this game. You could use this formation of mine as a template. For comments, suggestions or reactions, please do inform me so that I could improve onto it. thanks.

greenjoke314@gmail.com
anne15

Re: try my triangle formation

Post by anne15 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:02 am

mhackhertz wrote:This formation has two right triangle shaped formation on each side and an inverted triangle in the middle. The placement of pieces as follows:

(Triangle Offense 1)

*flag can be interchanged with either 2nd lt. or sgt.

(Triangle Offense 2)

*if the 4-3-2 side is the attacking side (4-star, col., 2-star), a player can interchange pvt. to 1st lt., then switch it again for the flag, having the 1st lt., at the 5-3-1 side (5-star, 3-star, 1-star). Also, you have the option to interchange either your 2-star or col. with your spy at the front row.
"what does 4-3-2 and 5-3-1 mean?"
Both of them can be interchange sides.

Advantages and disadvantages:

A: Placing of Flag.
TO1: 5-3-1 side - main attacking side; 1st option to where to place flag
twin spy mid - defensive phalanx / reinforcements; safest to place the flag
4-3-2 side - 2nd attacking side; Last option to where to place flag

TO2: 4-3-2-spy side - main attacking side; blitz attack option
single spy mid - 2nd option to where to place flag
5-3-1 side - bluff/decoy side; last option to where to place flag
"what does 4-3-2 and 5-3-1 mean?"
B: Strategy

if a player would be using TO1, w/c has the spies at the middle, a player could have the option to use that as a defensive wall in the middle at an early stage of the game. the two sides can be used as a two-sided attack using your generals. If a player encounters a split with the 5-star and have figured out that your opponent is going for a blitz, you could take advantage and attack the other side of your opponent, take note though that he/she might have a spy holding that side, so be cautious though. An option could be using your 2-star but make sure that privates are near as well as your 4-star and other supporting pieces to protect your privates.
if your 4-3-2 side is the unlucky side that has been plagued (surely, that's a 5-star that attacked that side), if you could save some pieces at that side, might as well do in, because there will be a threat of a touchdown. Also the spy at the middle that is nearest to the plagued side could be a reinforcement, just save some pieces though to protect your spy from enemy's privates. That's why with the two attack strategies for this formation, the safest place for the flag is at the middle (defensive phalanx).

Upon using TO2, this conceals the assumption if your opponent had already encountered triangle offense many times (w/c usually happens to me in my case due to lack of opponents) you could use that as a bluff at the early stages of the game.
Using the single spy to hold the middle part and having the other spy at the 4-3-2 side, obviously gives you an option to use an offensive spy, if you don't feel comfortable about an offensive spy, you could use that as a secondary or support attack piece or try to go for a split with your opponent's other spy, assuming that your opponent is going for a blitz attack (usually having his/her 5-star and 4-star at the same side).

Either way, still you must learn how to use your pieces wisely, especially your spy because the weakness of this formation is usually the placement of the spy is easily determined. A player should know when to act upon a side is being attacked or plagued, or support your own attacking side or just act as a defensive wall in the middle. Upon having good knowledge and luck, this formation might be suitable for you, I'm not saying that this formation would win you all the time but with practice, you might be. Take note though that there is no such thing as an unbeatable player/ formation. Also, try to make you own formations that you think will help you to be good at this game. You could use this formation of mine as a template. For comments, suggestions or reactions, please do inform me so that I could improve onto it. thanks.

greenjoke314@gmail.com
GGWizard

Post by GGWizard » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:26 am

(Triangle Offense 1)
(Triangle Offense 2)
Granting both players knew this position and play (like chess is), which side would you prefer?
GGWizard

Post by GGWizard » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:42 pm

GGWizard wrote:
(Triangle Offense 1)
(Triangle Offense 2)
Granting both players knew this position and play (like chess is), which side would you prefer?
Just finished a workable gg computer program, at the moment, the pieces informations are given to the program.
Here is a sample analysis of WizGeneral v1.0 a computer gg. Black side is Triangle offense 1 and white side is triangle offense 2. A score of 44 points was calculated after a search to a depth of 10 in around 17 seconds. Private value is 100 points.
In this search the program is aware of all the pieces location and piece types.
This program might be useful in building an opening repertoire.

Code: Select all

WizGeneral v1.0

white to move> d

=BLACK SIDE=
8  f p v . a . r p s
7  p x . e b e . w p
6  z . q p c p m . y   F=flag, P=private, S=sergeant, A=2nd Lt, B=1st Lt
5  . . . . . . . . .   C=captain, M=major, Q=Lt. col, R=colonel
4  . . . . . . . . .   V=1star, W=2star, X=3star, Y=4star, Z=5star, E=spy
3  Z . C Q M B S . E
2  P X . P E P . Y W
1  F P V . A . R P P
     =WHITE SIDE=
   a b c d e f g h i

white to move> new
white to move> sd 10
search depth is 10
white to move> play
depth Positions  score pv moves
  1         30     54  b2b3 (0 ms)
  2        124     44  b2b3 b7b6 (0 ms)
  3        682     54  b2b3 b7b6 h2h3 (0 ms)
  4       3276     44  b2b3 b7b6 h2h3 h7h6 (15 ms)
  5       9619     44  a3a4 b7b6 a2a3 h7h6 b2b3 (31 ms)
  6      24798     44  a3a4 c8c7 a2a3 h7h6 b2b3 b7b6 (62 ms)
  7     164695     46  e3e4 d6d5 e4e5 d7d6 b2b3 b7b6 h2h3 (343 ms)
  8     824982     52  e3e4 d6d5 b2b3 c8c7 e2e3 b7b6 h2h3 h7h6 (1653 ms)
  9    3586148     44  a3a4 h7h6 i3h3 c8c7 a4a5 d7d8 a2a3 b7b6
                       b2b3 (7207 ms)
 10    8412599     44  a3a4 h7h6 a2a3 b7b6 b2b3 a6a5 e3e4 d6d5
                       a4a5 a7a6 h2h3 (16977 ms)
Computer's move: a3a4
Time=16977 ms, Pos/sec=496K, Positions=8412599, Move=a3a4

=BLACK SIDE=
8  f p v . a . r p s
7  p x . e b e . w p
6  z . q p c p m . y   F=flag, P=private, S=sergeant, A=2nd Lt, B=1st Lt
5  . . . . . . . . .   C=captain, M=major, Q=Lt. col, R=colonel
4  Z . . . . . . . .   V=1star, W=2star, X=3star, Y=4star, Z=5star, E=spy
3  . . C Q M B S . E
2  P X . P E P . Y W
1  F P V . A . R P P
     =WHITE SIDE=
   a b c d e f g h i

black to move>
bobby

Post by bobby » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:59 am

Hi GGWizard,

What you're doing is cool for the GG community but please create a separate exclusive thread to discuss your program and your algorithm and continue from there.

-B
GGWizard

Post by GGWizard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:11 am

bobby wrote:Hi GGWizard,

What you're doing is cool for the GG community but please create a separate exclusive thread to discuss your program and your algorithm and continue from there.

-B
Got it, Thank you.